Artesia Cemetery District
Job Description (Full Time)
Under general supervision will perform semi-skilled and skilled tasks in the maintenance, development, and operation of the cemetery; and operate a variety of equipment including riding mower, edger, backhoe, tractor, and excavator.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Digs graves
· Sets up canopy and chairs;
· Operates light and heavy equipment including backhoe, tractor, and excavator;
· Installs grave marker and floral vases;
· Maintains, repairs, and installs automatic sprinkler systems and lines;
· Mows and trims lawns throughout cemetery grounds including around grave markers, monuments, head stones, curbs, and tree;
· Irrigates cemetery grounds using automatic and manual systems;
· Prepares for burial services;
· Sets up lowering devices, erect canopy and lower caskets, bells, and vaults;
· Performs disinterment of human remains; may require entry to place strapping for removal;
· Directs traffic and parks cars;
· Provides additional assistance to service attendants, mortuary directors, and families as needed; acts as pall bearer if necessary;
· Performs a variety of tasks in the maintenance of the City's cemetery;
· Cultivates, prunes, and edges lawns and flowers;
· Trims trees and shrubs;
· Weeds landscaped area and picks up litter;
· Cleans and performs basic custodial work in cemetery buildings and facilities;
· Sweeps cemetery paths and streets;
· Secures building, vehicles, and gates;
· Assists and provides information to customers; and
· Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITY:
· Practices, methods, tools, materials, and equipment used in cemetery and grounds maintenance and operation work;
· Occupational hazards and necessary precautions applicable to assigned work; and
· Safe driving principles and practices.
· Use a backhoe & excavator to open graves in restrictive spaces or on uneven ground;
· Operate a variety of mechanical equipment in a safe and effective manner;
· Use and operate hand tools, mechanical equipment and power tools and equipment; and
· Operate a motor vehicle safely.
· Perform cemetery maintenance, landscaping, reconstruction and repair work independently;
· Perform preventive maintenance on equipment; and
· Learn policies, procedures, and codes related to cemetery and facilities maintenance;
· Perform cemetery maintenance, landscaping, construction and repair work;
· Perform minor or routine maintenance and repair of equipment;
· Deal tactfully with the public;
· Understand and follow oral and written directions;
· Communicate clearly and concisely, and
· Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
· Experience in grounds maintenance and construction, preferred but not required.
· Experience in maintenance and operations, preferably in a cemetery.
· Experience operating a mower, edger, backhoe, tractor, and excavator.
· Equivalent to a high school diploma supplemented by training in operating an excavator and backhoe.
Licenses and Certificates:
· Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid driver's license.
· Excavator/Backhoe Experience (or certification) Required
· Pest Control or OSHA certification a plus, but not required
Essential functions and duties require the following physical abilities and work environment:
· Ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, stoop, squat, crawl, twist, and climb;
· Ability to lift 75 pounds;
· Ability to work on occasional weekend burials at overtime pay;
· Exposure to outdoors, heat, noise, vibration, confining work space, chemicals, mechanic
· Maintain a positive work relationship with the public and cemetery staff.
· Paid Holidays
· Monday – Friday work schedule
· 403 (b) Retirement Savings Plan