Cemetery Groundskeeper I
Job Description (Part Time)
EMAIL Resume: info@ArtesiaCemetery.com
The Groundskeeper I works under the direct supervision of the Foreman or Lead and performs tasks associated with the interment of human remains, routine maintenance of lawns, landscape, hardscape features and equipment, regular custodial services for on-site buildings and other on-site facilities, minor repair work, and other related tasks as may be assigned by the Foreman or Lead from time to time.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The Groundskeeper I performs the following tasks on a routine and/or as-needed basis:
· Prepare site for scheduled interment services and remove and properly store all items after completion of interment services.
· Assist with carrying a casket, urn or other container containing human remains from the vehicle delivering said container to the interment site.
· Transport burial vaults and liners within the cemetery and installing and setting them at the proper interment sites.
· Set all authorized memorial markers at the proper interment sites.
· Mow the cemetery’s lawns on a routine and as-needed basis.
· Clear all cemetery lawns and other landscape areas of debris and unsafe or unauthorized objects.
· Remove all flowers, flower vases and other remembrance items from interment sites pursuant to the District’s established schedule for removal of such items.
· Operate, maintain, and monitor all irrigation systems on a routine and as-needed basis.
· Hand water all landscaping as may be deemed necessary to properly maintain the health and aesthetics of the plants and vegetation contained therein.
· Prune and trim trees, shrubs and other vegetation on a routine and as-needed basis.
· Sweep and maintain all roadways and walkways in the cemetery and clear all roadways and walkways of debris and unsafe and unauthorized objects.
· Empty all trash and recyclable receptacles on a routine and as-needed basis.
· Perform general janitorial services for office, shop area, and restrooms on a routine and as-needed basis to ensure that they remain clean and safe.
· Clean, maintain, and repair on a routine and as-need basis all equipment, supplies, machinery and vehicles.
· Remove all unauthorized signs, posters, flyers, etc. from the cemetery and remove all graffiti and other unauthorized markings, drawings and etchings from the surface of any District-owned wall, fence, gate, building, structure, bench, walkway or any other objects within the cemetery.
· Apply District-approved insecticides and herbicides to control weeds, gophers and other pests pursuant to the proper health and safety instructions on a routine and as-needed basis.
· Prepare site(s) for special events and remove and properly store all items after completion of event.
· Drive to and from locations outside the cemetery to pick up or deliver items or persons related to official District business.
· Perform other tasks as may be assigned by the Foreman or Lead from time to time on as-needed basis.
TOOLS, EQUIPMENT and MACHINERY: The Groundskeeper I must be able to use and operate the following tools, equipment and machinery in an efficient and safe manner for their common and normal purposes and pursuant to any applicable instructions provided by the manufacturer:
Weed Wacker Hedge Trimmer Backpack Blower Chainsaw
Pole Saw Zero Turn Lawn Mower Sod Cutter
Pressure Washer Push Mower Backhoe & Tractor Ladder
PVC Pipe Cutters Shop Vac Mules Pruners
Loppers Hand Saw Shovel Rake
Push Broom Hand Temper Landscape Rake Snow Shovel
Hula-Ho Circular Saw Drills Grinder
Air Compressor Wrenches Pickax Sledgehammer
Posthole Digger Razor Blades Cleaning Agents Staple Gun
Common Hand tools Mop & Bucket Golf Cart
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical requirements for the Groundskeeper I position include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Heavy work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
· Carrying: Assisting with carrying 100 to 300-pound caskets for a distance of up to 50 feet.
· Climbing: Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms.
· Balancing: Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing or carrying a casket or other container containing human remains.
· Stooping: Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist which requires full use of the lower extremities and back muscles.
· Kneeling: Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees.
· Crouching: Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine.
· Crawling: Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet.
· Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
· Standing: Particularly for sustained periods of time during interment services and other events.
· Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for moving from one work site to another.
· Pushing: Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward.
· Pulling: Using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
· Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position which requires substantial use of the upper extremities and back muscles.
· Fingering: Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand or arm as in handling.
· Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
· Feeling: Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips.
· Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word in order to convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
· Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels or without correction and the ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and make fine discriminations in sound.
· Repetitive Motions: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
VISUAL ACUITY: The visual acuity requirements of the Groundskeeper I position are as follows:
· Must have visual acuity to operate the tools, equipment and machinery of the job to perform work on items or objects that are at or within arm's reach.
· Must have visual acuity to operate the motorized tools, equipment and machinery including without limitation lawn mowers and a backhoe.
· Must have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, thoroughness of work assigned and to make general observations of the general status of certain areas, facilities, buildings and other structures.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The working environment the Groundskeeper I position may be subject t to the following conditions:
· Indoors and outdoors environmental conditions since the job requires work to be performed both inside and outside.
· Cold temperatures which sometimes falling below 32 degrees for periods of more than one hour.
· Warm temperatures which often raises above 100 degrees for periods of more than one hour which can be exacerbated my extremely low humidity and Santa Ana winds.
· Sufficient ambient noise caused by motorized tools, equipment and machinery that may require shouting in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
· Oscillating movements of extremities or whole body caused by the vibrations associated with operating motorized tools, equipment and machinery.
· Potentially hazardous conditions due to proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, and exposure to gasoline, herbicides, pesticides and other chemicals.
DRIVING REQUIREMENTS: The Groundskeeper I must possess at all times a valid California driver’s license, and auto insurance that names the District as an additional insured. In addition, the Groundkeeper I must maintain valid vehicle registration and a driving record free of moving violations of any kind, including without limitation driving with a revoked license, driving while intoxicated, reckless driving, driving without wearing a seat belt, failure to restrain a child in a vehicle, driving while texting or using a cell phone, etc.
· Experience in cemetery maintenance and operations, preferred but not required.
· Experience in grounds maintenance, preferred but not required.
· Experience operating a backhoe, tractor, and/or excavator, preferred but not required.
· High School Diploma or equivalent
LICENSES and CERTIFICATES:
· Possession of valid driver's license
· Pest Control Certification a PLUS
· Excavator/Backhoe, OSHA, and hazardous waste certification a PLUS
· Monday – Friday work schedule (Occasional Saturdays)
· Minimum 20 hours per week